[Skip to Content]

Stop 1: Stonecliffe

Stop 1: Stonecliffe

Stop 1: Stonecliffe

Stonecliffe Park is situated on land that formerly was Gring's Limestone Quarry during the late 19th to early 20th centuries. Across the stream and slightly to your left stands the home of former canalman John G. Withers. The house dates to 1856.

The Union Canal which paralleled the stream on the opposite shore, was 80 miles in length, beginning at the confluence of the Schuylkill River and Tulpehocken Creek and running to Middletown, PA on Susquehanna River. The Union Canal was completed in 1827 at a total cost of over six million dollars. The Union was never economically successful, plagued by narrow channels, small locks, and chronic low water levels. 

Just below Stonecliffe Park, a weigh station was built adjacent to lock No. 52 E. to determine the net cargo transported by canal boats in order to assess an appropriate toll. 

Today, the Union Canal Walking & Bicycle Trail follows much of the original Union Canal towpath. The canal prism is visible along much of the trail. 

Intro | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

Union Canal TrailUnion Canal Bicycle & Walking Trail