[Skip to Content]

Campaign Finance Information

Campaign Finance Information

Campaign Expense Reporting

All candidates and political committees must periodically report their contributions and expenditures. Candidates for statewide offices, state legislative offices, or Courts of Common Pleas must file their original reports with the Secretary of the Commonwealth. In addition, they must file copies with the local election office in the county in which they reside, not in each county their district touches.

Local candidates must file their reports with the county elections office in the county where nominating petitions are normally filed for that office.

Committees which remain active but are "dormant", such as when an incumbent is not a candidate in a given year, may usually fulfill their obligations by filing an annual report by January 31 each year. Candidates which are in an active election year must file before and after the Primary and the General election. Candidates are provided full schedules in their candidate information packets.

In addition, there are state-mandated forms to use to form a political committee and for a candidate to use to authorize a political committee to act on his or her behalf.

Campaign Finance Online Portal

This resource from the Department of State provides online public access to information from Campaign Finance reports filed with the state. The portal also allows candidates for statewide offices to file their reports online.




Reporting Resources

Credit Card and Digital Contribution Reporting 

This page details how to report contributions made via credit cards or online platforms, such as PayPal and GoFundMe. 

Failed to File List

Failure to file the necessary reports may result in serious fines and penalties, including forfeiture of office. No successful candidate may take office until all reports have been filed.

Campaign Finance Forms

All campaign finance reports are public information and are available for inspection.  Hard copy reports filed by candidates and committees are available for review in the Election Services office between the hours of 8am - 5pm, Monday through Friday.  

For more information, contact the Election Services office at 610-478-6490 or email us.

Campaign Finance Report (DSEB-502)

This form is intended for the use of candidates, political committees and contributing lobbyists that are required to disclose contributions and expenditures. (further instructions available with form)

Campaign Finance Statement (DSEB-503)

You may file this statement in lieu of a full report when the amount of contributions (including in-kind contributions) received, the amount of money expended, and the liabilities incurred each did not exceed $250.00 during the reporting period. (further instructions available with form)

Political Committee Registration Statement (DSEB-500)

Use this form to register a new political committee. You may also use it to amend the original registration when the committee appoints a new chairperson or treasurer, or changes any other required information.

Authorization for a Political Committee to Receive Funds on Behalf of a Candidate (DSEB-501)

The Pennsylvania Election Code provides that no treasurer of a political committee shall receive any money on behalf of a candidate until such political committee has been authorized in writing by the candidate on a form designed by the Secretary of the Commonwealth. (further instructions available with form)

Independent Expenditure Reporting Form (DSEB-505)

If you make an Independent Expenditure (an expenditure not in cooperation or consultation with any candidate or candidate's political committee) to influence the outcome of the election of a candidate or ballot question. You must file this report if the expenditure exceeds $100 in a calendar year. (further instructions available with form)

24 Hour Reporting Form

Section 1628 of the Campaign Finance Reporting Law requires that any candidate or political committee authorized by a candidate and created solely for the purpose of influencing an election on behalf of that candidate shall report the late contributions. This is true if they receive any contribution or pledge of five hundred dollars ($500) or more after the final pre-primary/pre-election report has been deemed completed. This must happen within twenty-four (24) hours of receipt of the contribution. These contributions must be reported through and including the day of the primary/election.

You may file this report by telegram, mailgram, and overnight mail, facsimile at 610-478-6218 or e-mail. The filing of reports via facsimile or e-mail applies only to the 24 hour late contribution report and does not remove the obligation to also report those contributions on the appropriate post-primary/post-election expense report filing. Please contact our office for specific reporting dates for late contribution reports.